Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

AutoCAD Project Problems

I'm in the process of researching for a project in my 3D recording and interpretation class. The assignment will test my ability to choose appropriate Computer Aided Design (CAD) methods to address an archaeological question, to critique their applications and thoroughly document my outcomes.

Because I'm primarily interested in Prehistoric stuff, I'm finding it extremely difficult to find a subject that is suitable for this project. The CAD technology seems to be too rigid for such a subject because most prehistoric remains and features are so organic in shape (and mostly in ruins).

So I've decided to steer away from such ancient remains and model a medieval castle. Herein lies the problem. Finding accurate plans and measurements for medieval castles is nearly impossible. After days of researching, I have yet to find something I can model! So I had this idea to start a blog about my problems (and, hopefully, successes). I'd like to think that this might help someone searching for the same answers.

Here's some cool things that I've found.


A 3D model of Le Château de Pierrefonds
This is the work of Andrea Polato (who has a beautiful website by the way). His work on the castle is exquisite, unfortunately I don't know where he got his source material! According to the website, this project took one and a half years to complete and it shows in the level of detail. With his reconstruction, Andrea was able to visually phase the restoration of the castle, first by producing a ruin model, then a middle restoration and finally a complete restoration model based on the work of Eugene Viollet-le-Duc. Simply beautiful.

Caldonazzo Castle - From Ruins to Archaeological 3D Reconstruction
This model was created using Structure-from-Motion which creates a point cloud in a virtual environment from a series of photographs. The results are an accurate 3D model of this beautiful castle using free and open software.


This is my mom and brother in the early '90s near my favorite castle in the world: Chillon Castle in Switzerland. I would really love to model this castle in AutoCAD. Blueprints and floor plans exist but I'm having trouble finding accurate dimensions of the height of the building.

More stuff coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment